Saturday, November 14, 2009

Hooray!!

Dirk and I have just been taking it easy today - staying in out of the chilly rain, listening to some jams, sleepin'. At about 10pm we both decided that it might be nice to make some dinner. Together. As a family for the first time in almost a year. Nothing mundane would do, as pasta and stir fry have been boring for months, and leftover lentil soup does not sound yummy.
"What should we do on this icky day?" We both asked ourselves.
"Well, I just got paid yesterday", Dirk offered.
"Hmm. Wait, didn't you spend that all on--"
"--No, no, I didn't go THAT crazy last night", Dirk chuckled softly to himself.
"Sure, if you say so, Dirk." I eyed him uncomfortably for a second before returning to thoughts of food.
"Veau a la broche avec ail, oignon, fromage brie, et un sauce du vin rouge?" Dirk ventured.
Hmm...sounds good. "Wait, whats 'veau' again?" I asked.
"Veal."
"Oh. Yuck. Let's think of something else."
We both sat there staring at the pantry or else into space.
Suddenly, I had the perfect idea! "Hey! How about hamburgers?"
Dirk looked at me with disgust and a certain amount of disappointment. "I can't believe I live with someone that entertain that notion for even a second."
"Oh, Dirk. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. I just thought..."
Dirk sensed tears coming on and was quick to comfort me. "No, no, Kyle. Don't you worry about it. I just get carried away sometimes. We can do hamburgers if you want, but would you consider making something like..." Dirk fished around in the air for a second, looking for an idea. "Like, um, for instance, chicken pot pie?"
I love chicken pot pie!
"Yeah!! Chicken Pot Pie!" I jumped up in the air with excitement.
"Well then, we better get started," so Dirk and I took off for the grocery store, and before long we had a piping hot chicken pot pie ready for us, perfectly golden-brown and flaky and delicious looking.





















THE END

2 comments:

  1. dear dirk and/or kyle,
    can i have this recipe? it looks delicious.
    much love,
    anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hullo Anna.
    The recipe is mostly from here: http://www.squidoo.com/homemade-chicken-pot-pie
    except I added a half cup of cream to the sauce, and also messed up a couple of other things. Like not having a pie tin, for example.

    ReplyDelete